Core Courses: All Tracks
All students in both the certificate and the Master of Science (MS) programs in Biomedical Informatics (BMI) will be expected to take the core classes listed below:
- M18 5302 Introduction to Biomedical Informatics I – 3 units*
- M18 5303 Introduction to Biomedical Informatics II – 3 units*
- M18 5304 Introduction to Biomedical Data Science I – 3 units*
- M18 5305 Introduction to Biomedical Data Science II – 3 units*
*Beginning Fall, 2021, students enrolled in the MS and certificate program in BMI and the Ph.D. in Biomedical Informatics and Data Science (BIDS), will register for 4 units of credit for the above core courses.
Core Courses (MS Program only):
- M18 5200 Biomedical Informatics Journal Club – 2 units
- M18 5201 Rotation & Research/Capstone – Research hours may include up to ten units in rotations, research, and courses related to capstone and thesis work
- One Advanced Topics Course – 3 units
- M18 5204 – Advanced Topics – Mixed Methods in Biomedical Informatics, Fall, 2020.
Competencies: MS Program
Students in the MS in BMI will be expected to have the competencies listed below by the time of graduation. Students who have taken the equivalent at other institutions may be excused from these courses with permission from the director.
- M21 506 R Primer
- M21 560 Biostatistics I
- M21 570 Biostatistics II
- M17 529 Scientific Writing and Publishing
- M17 510 Ethical and Legal Issues in Clinical Research
Students may take approved electives in computer science, medicine, business, basic science, and public health based on their track with approval from their academic advisor.